Runboard.com
You're welcome.

runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 2133
Karma: 10 (+16/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

John1959 wrote:

quote:

katie5445 wrote:

Slavery would have gone down anyway, industrialization. They were forced to join the modern age and leave a culture from long ago.



I don't agree with that, Katie.

Whether running a plantation or a factory, some would have loved using free labor.

In fact if industry could have used slaves, the number of slaves probably would have increased.

And remember, even though slavery was abolished, it took another 100 years for blacks to gain some equality.



The thing about running a plantation was there were very few that owned thousands of acres of land or a hundreds of slaves. My family averaged between 9-10 which I originally envisioned a 'normal' home with not alot of acreage but it actually is a "Gone With the Wind" plantation with up to a 1,000 acres. None of those were running a corporation or factory, could or would where at $400 to $800 a slave plus expenses through life, would have been cost effective vs. a machine to replace them. I saw the factories of earlier times go down replaced by machinery and persons now are talking robots replacing people, slaves would have been replaced as not being as cost effective especially for a small business.
5/20/2017, 2:04 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1442
Karma: 1 (+7/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


A co-worker's family once owned the 'Evergreen' plantation outside of N.O. LA, they at one time 'owned' some one hundred slaves including the children while farming over two thousand acres of swampy land recovered for rice and cotton. The farm as noted by the history lesson providing in a tour was in decline up to ten years before the civil war where the original 100 slaves had been reduced to less than 40 by entry into war with horse drawn and mule power becoming more evident in use. In essence machines had already begun the take over before the war initiated.

In that regard the remaining slaves were not fed as well, not kept in as good health as they were no longer as 'required' as once were. Even as there is a note as to Abolitionist efforts incurring more decline the decline had already begun prior to the war:

[sign in to see URL]
5/20/2017, 1:40 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
John1959 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 775
Karma: 5 (+6/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


The idea that slavery was on it's way out is a myth.

Slavery as part of the economic system was going strong in certain states in 1860.

Abolitionists had only been successful in Northern states, where the use of slaves was far less than the South.

The fact that there was argument over whether or not new states could be slave-holding or non-slave-holding proves this point. Why would anyone worry about new states allowing slavery if slavery was in decline where it already existed?

---
It is wise to direct your anger towards problems - not people; to focus your energies on answers - not excuses. William Arthur Ward
5/20/2017, 3:26 pm Link to this post PM John1959 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 994
Karma: 6 (+7/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

John1959 wrote:

The idea that slavery was on it's way out is a myth.

Slavery as part of the economic system was going strong in certain states in 1860.

Abolitionists had only been successful in Northern states, where the use of slaves was far less than the South.

The fact that there was argument over whether or not new states could be slave-holding or non-slave-holding proves this point. Why would anyone worry about new states allowing slavery if slavery was in decline where it already existed?



Because they were dumb enough to do so? Slavery would still have ended if the Civil War had not taken place. Maybe not nearly so fast but it would have ended. There would have been lots of pressure to end it both internally and internationally.
5/20/2017, 4:22 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
John1959 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 775
Karma: 5 (+6/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

John1959 wrote:

The idea that slavery was on it's way out is a myth.

Slavery as part of the economic system was going strong in certain states in 1860.

Abolitionists had only been successful in Northern states, where the use of slaves was far less than the South.

The fact that there was argument over whether or not new states could be slave-holding or non-slave-holding proves this point. Why would anyone worry about new states allowing slavery if slavery was in decline where it already existed?



Because they were dumb enough to do so? Slavery would still have ended if the Civil War had not taken place. Maybe not nearly so fast but it would have ended. There would have been lots of pressure to end it both internally and internationally.



No, they were not that dumb.

Yes, eventually it would have ended, but when? It took a war and a Constitutional amendment to end it.

It may have slowly started to go away, under the right conditions, but I can imagine slavery continuing beyond 1900.

Keep in mind that slavery wasn't simply about free labor on plantations. It was also about white supremacy, legally making backs second-class citizens, and the culture of America.

You can see that in how the slave-states continued to treat blacks poorly after the war.

It wasn't as if when slavery ended the nation began treating blacks as equals. That took at least another 100 years.

---
It is wise to direct your anger towards problems - not people; to focus your energies on answers - not excuses. William Arthur Ward
5/20/2017, 4:50 pm Link to this post PM John1959 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 994
Karma: 6 (+7/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

John1959 wrote:

quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

John1959 wrote:

The idea that slavery was on it's way out is a myth.

Slavery as part of the economic system was going strong in certain states in 1860.

Abolitionists had only been successful in Northern states, where the use of slaves was far less than the South.

The fact that there was argument over whether or not new states could be slave-holding or non-slave-holding proves this point. Why would anyone worry about new states allowing slavery if slavery was in decline where it already existed?



Because they were dumb enough to do so? Slavery would still have ended if the Civil War had not taken place. Maybe not nearly so fast but it would have ended. There would have been lots of pressure to end it both internally and internationally.



No, they were not that dumb.

Yes, eventually it would have ended, but when? It took a war and a Constitutional amendment to end it.

It may have slowly started to go away, under the right conditions, but I can imagine slavery continuing beyond 1900.

Keep in mind that slavery wasn't simply about free labor on plantations. It was also about white supremacy, legally making backs second-class citizens, and the culture of America.

You can see that in how the slave-states continued to treat blacks poorly after the war.

It wasn't as if when slavery ended the nation began treating blacks as equals. That took at least another 100 years.



Irrelevant. Women weren't treated as equals either. They didn't get the right to vote until long after black men did. They were also treated as second class citizens but they weren't exactly slaves although in many cases there wasn't too much difference.

Slavery as an institution involving the free labor of black people would have ended on its own and I suspect that would have happened before the twentieth century began.

5/20/2017, 5:02 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
John1959 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 775
Karma: 5 (+6/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

John1959 wrote:
No, they were not that dumb.

Yes, eventually it would have ended, but when? It took a war and a Constitutional amendment to end it.

It may have slowly started to go away, under the right conditions, but I can imagine slavery continuing beyond 1900.

Keep in mind that slavery wasn't simply about free labor on plantations. It was also about white supremacy, legally making backs second-class citizens, and the culture of America.

You can see that in how the slave-states continued to treat blacks poorly after the war.

It wasn't as if when slavery ended the nation began treating blacks as equals. That took at least another 100 years.



Irrelevant. Women weren't treated as equals either. They didn't get the right to vote until long after black men did. They were also treated as second class citizens but they weren't exactly slaves although in many cases there wasn't too much difference.

Slavery as an institution involving the free labor of black people would have ended on its own and I suspect that would have happened before the twentieth century began.



It's hardly Irrelevant.

No one seceded or started a war to prevent women from getting the right to vote. They were many that disagreed, but only slavery was an issue for which some would go to extremes.

I agree it would have ended, but it probably would have taken decades and several generations.

We have to ask; What would have brought about the end of slavery? As long as the need existed, as long as some could benefit, there remained the possibility for it to continue.

---
It is wise to direct your anger towards problems - not people; to focus your energies on answers - not excuses. William Arthur Ward
5/20/2017, 5:40 pm Link to this post PM John1959 Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 2133
Karma: 10 (+16/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


Trains, modern farming equipment, new ways to farm agri, all would have made slavery uneconomical, I think that is hard to get around with you look at the late 19th century. I think it is important to also look at the differences between the north and south in the years before the civil war, it reads doomed for failure to me for the south. Also with the mortality rate for slaves and they lived half as long as whites and there was no more importation, they would be lacking in enough slaves to carry on in any big scale way with that modernization continuing on to what we see did develop in the late 19th century.
5/20/2017, 6:00 pm Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1442
Karma: 1 (+7/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


In the same process as slave ownership decline southern profits would have been better and production increased with machines. Would have taken a bite or rather another bite out of Northern manufacturers ability to control the materials supplies or prices ESPECIALLY if they formed their own nation OUTSIDE USA controlling legislation.
5/20/2017, 6:17 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1442
Karma: 1 (+7/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


I can really rationalize the industries and those major manufacturing controllers as Carnegie or Rockefeller or Vanderbilt types of the day having to pay full price for raw goods rather than pimping the Fed to control costs. Would have cost them Millions in the then Dollar value.

A political war to basically shelter northern industry pricing.

[sign in to see URL]

Last edited by cooter50, 5/20/2017, 6:50 pm
5/20/2017, 6:27 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
John1959 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 775
Karma: 5 (+6/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

Trains, modern farming equipment, new ways to farm agri, all would have made slavery uneconomical, I think that is hard to get around with you look at the late 19th century.



It's 2017 and farmers today depend on immigrant labor for picking crops.

Seems to me the need for such labor has always existed, no matter what equipment was available.

---
It is wise to direct your anger towards problems - not people; to focus your energies on answers - not excuses. William Arthur Ward
5/21/2017, 12:13 am Link to this post PM John1959 Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1442
Karma: 1 (+7/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


You hand pick vegetables or fruits that have to be topped or freed from branches and carefully removed from a stalk or plant as done with lettuce or celery even strawberries. They tried machines years ago but too much soft damage for functional.

Crops as in row crops are machine set and machine Harvested. That is as with tobacco, cotton, sugar cane or beets etc. The staples of the old south.

Farm 'crops' can range from any form of large volume production but produce is generally hand picked.
5/21/2017, 1:50 am Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
Yobbo Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2008
Posts: 1162
Karma: 5 (+8/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


There is a high level of selfishness in American society which tolerates evil.
5/21/2017, 2:04 am Link to this post PM Yobbo
 
Rigby5 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 04-2005
Location: Mountain Time
Posts: 3414
Karma: 0 (+9/-9)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


Slavery was never economical.
It always cost less and produced more to have a profit incentive instead of force.

The problem was how to prevent mob rule.
And that still is the problem even now.
That is why we have such a horrible police state with things like the War on Drugs, and why we do not have things like public health care.
5/21/2017, 5:40 pm Link to this post PM Rigby5
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1442
Karma: 1 (+7/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


Economics in one's eye is persecution in another.

Many felt the mechanics as I and those I worked with were "Rich" as the garage was being paid tens of dollars per hour(now over $80 rural and $140 metro) expecting the men an d women on the floor to be receiving much of that. Factoid, Mechanics take less than 20% of a garage per hour cost as a mix benefit and payroll. Most of these work on a production rate; chargeable hours, flat rate fee system where should they have to work overtime to complete a task it is Yes, [sign in to see URL] for pay but based on total hours of week as to Paid Hours in percentage. A man may see two hours of OT but only charge out 22 hours which results in 1.5 of base hourly pay rate [sign in to see URL]. So if make $30/hr. is x .55 x 1.5 or LESS THAN normal rate at [sign in to see URL] but still greater than $30/hr. at 22 hours which for a 40 hour week equates to $[sign in to see URL] for a weeks work.

These people still buy their own tools, many pay for uniform laundering or clean their own and supply all their own specialized safety gear at their own expense.

The Garage is not by any sense making a fortune either, warranty work is a negative figure and NOT deductible as to taxes. Lost parts unwarrantable parts, many shop supplies are attempted to be recouped by a shop supplies or misc charge but it never equates to enough. Most garages make in the overall 1.2 the listed per hour figure for the hours the facility is open. and they have environmental fees, disposal fees, etc that are also non-deductible.

Production rates are not always a blessing to any party.
5/21/2017, 6:13 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
Yobbo Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2008
Posts: 1162
Karma: 5 (+8/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


It wasn't as if when slavery ended the nation began treating blacks as equals. That took at least another 100 years.

I suppose equal treatment has begun to be adopted but it is still a long way off.

Women too - equal treatment is nowhere near being achieved. The US doesn't have that on its own.

Incidentally female suffrage occurred in 1893 in NZ.
Typical, left-wing nutters in the South Pacific. No wonder I made it my home. Of course it was my wife who decided that we would live here.
5/21/2017, 7:58 pm Link to this post PM Yobbo
 
Rigby5 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 04-2005
Location: Mountain Time
Posts: 3414
Karma: 0 (+9/-9)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

Yobbo wrote:

It wasn't as if when slavery ended the nation began treating blacks as equals. That took at least another 100 years.

I suppose equal treatment has begun to be adopted but it is still a long way off.

Women too - equal treatment is nowhere near being achieved. The US doesn't have that on its own.

Incidentally female suffrage occurred in 1893 in NZ.
Typical, left-wing nutters in the South Pacific. No wonder I made it my home. Of course it was my wife who decided that we would live here.



Women could not vote in the US until 1920.
5/22/2017, 10:45 pm Link to this post PM Rigby5
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1442
Karma: 1 (+7/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


I lived thru a tumultuous time of the US, the 60's, I can remember the news broadcasts of the protest marches, of the blockading of schools, of the use of NG to dissuade politicians from maintaining segregation. There were more than a few places I can remember Blacks only drinking fountains and rest rooms. Is all too bad out of the change there came the entitlement societies we have now. "We are owed" for what, most of the people screaming for 'restitution' or paybacks were not even born in the crisis years or decades.

HUD delivered homes at decreased cost, to be allowed to decay and crumble many abandoned, there were housing projects became crime plagued scandalous messes, neighborhoods just became 'Hoods. There are still housing projects, so called low rise homes and the same issues still plague, homes bought in urban areas still fail to be maintained, there has been a call in a few cities locally that they need money to keep their homes up so how or why could they buy them if they cannot 'afford' to maintain them?
5/23/2017, 4:07 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 2133
Karma: 10 (+16/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


And where were all these housing projects built? I grew up in the 60's as well in the Bay Area, they were built in industrial areas, next to railroad tracks, next to where others dump their garbage, next to the stinky, gross part of the bay but certainly not next to where the rest of us were living and thriving. These were people coming for work due to the dust bowl, or during after the war, especially to Alameda, Oakland, Richmond. CA. did not have separation laws but blacks were segregated economically and socially. They threw these cheap 'homes' up put them to cheap labour, where their children didn't have much of a chance to advance. Then you reap what you sow don't you?
5/23/2017, 4:25 pm Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1442
Karma: 1 (+7/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


The St. louis Projects actually were built downtown, near to the then available grocers, markets and stores, the city hospitals and schools also available venues as sports or museums. They are still building in those regions.

In the 1960's the area of what is now Bridgeton, Maryland Heights, and so on along the I-270 loop was mostly undeveloped county. It soon became the mecca of families looking to move to more advanced, less costly and more open suburbs. St. Charles MO and St. Peters that now sit border to border were separated by five miles then. Farms were the norm to be eaten up by the new draw of suburbia.

Last edited by cooter50, 5/23/2017, 9:38 pm
5/23/2017, 9:35 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1442
Karma: 1 (+7/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


I can remember shopping at JC Pennys for school clothes at Page and Kingshighway riding transit buses to get there as Mom and Grandma did not drive as the cars were at work with the men. I can remember when Wellston, Pagedale, Velda Village were 99% white blue collar neighborhoods. Ranken Technical College where I attended for trade school had the automotive and shop classes in what was the old streetcar garage, the neighborhoods around the school were classic construction of the late Victorian and early Craftsmen styles. They are mostly gone now.

Have to remember WHITE families lived there for decades prior to the black families moving in. No ac, city water city sewer, usually one car not three or four if any, most had no garage. The Victorians had 10 or 12 foot ceilings, were all lath and plaster interior, ornate to median run millwork. Originally coal furnaces with associated hot water heaters many of these converted to gas or oil and later removed replaced to newer gas or electric.

A great deal of the old four plexes were cold water flats in the early 1900's a common bath up and down for two apartments, one toilet up and down. Electric lights did not take hold for the white people until the 19teens to 1920's.
5/23/2017, 9:47 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
Yobbo Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2008
Posts: 1162
Karma: 5 (+8/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


I read that some bigwig in New Orleans has congratulated the removal.

[sign in to see URL]

On May 19, the city of New Orleans removed a statue of Robert E. Lee from atop an 80-foot pedestal, where it had stood for 133 years. The Confederate Army commander's likeness was the last of four monuments memorializing the insurrection to be withdrawn in a 26-day span, an action that has led to protest both in the city and elsewhere. The same day, Mayor Mitch Landrieu, who started the movement to take down the monuments in 2015, gave a speech explaining the reasoning behind their removal. His full prepared remarks are below.

Last edited by Yobbo, 5/24/2017, 3:33 am
5/24/2017, 3:29 am Link to this post PM Yobbo
 
John1959 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 775
Karma: 5 (+6/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

Yobbo wrote:

I read that some bigwig in New Orleans has congratulated the removal.

[sign in to see URL]

On May 19, the city of New Orleans removed a statue of Robert E. Lee from atop an 80-foot pedestal, where it had stood for 133 years. The Confederate Army commander's likeness was the last of four monuments memorializing the insurrection to be withdrawn in a 26-day span, an action that has led to protest both in the city and elsewhere. The same day, Mayor Mitch Landrieu, who started the movement to take down the monuments in 2015, gave a speech explaining the reasoning behind their removal. His full prepared remarks are below.






"New Orleans was America’s largest slave market: a port where hundreds of thousands of souls were brought, sold and shipped up the Mississippi River to lives of forced labor of misery, of rape, of torture.

America was the place where nearly 4,000 of our fellow citizens were lynched, 540 alone in Louisiana; where the courts enshrined “separate but equal”; where Freedom riders coming to New Orleans were beaten to a bloody pulp.

So when people say to me that the monuments in question are history, well what I just described is real history as well, and it is the searing truth.

And it immediately begs the questions; why there are no slave ship monuments, no prominent markers on public land to remember the lynchings or the slave blocks; nothing to remember this long chapter of our lives; the pain, the sacrifice, the shame… all of it happening on the soil of New Orleans.

So for those self-appointed defenders of history and the monuments, they are eerily silent on what amounts to this historical malfeasance, a lie by omission.

There is a difference between remembrance of history and reverence of it."



---
It is wise to direct your anger towards problems - not people; to focus your energies on answers - not excuses. William Arthur Ward
5/24/2017, 2:12 pm Link to this post PM John1959 Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1442
Karma: 1 (+7/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


Yet there are museums on the nasty respects of slavery, the enshrined quarters they had to endure and the state to which they had to live. The Evergreen Plantation Museum is one such museum to show this, another is the Oak Alley plantation museum outside N.O. There are others that were not fully destroyed by the Northern troops.

They show the tawdry conditions and effects from the early days of photography as to the mistreatment of the slaves of the day.

There are no attempts as to trying to hide that, only in the mind of the extreme liberal that wishes it so.
5/25/2017, 9:55 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
Rigby5 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 04-2005
Location: Mountain Time
Posts: 3414
Karma: 0 (+9/-9)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


The importation of slaves was made illegal way back in 1782.

The Spanish colonies made the children of slave to be free, way back in 1820, and ended slavery completely by 1853.

So clearly if Spain can do it in its colonies, the US would have soon ended slavery as well.
Sugar used high volumes of manual labor as much as cotton did.
5/25/2017, 11:43 pm Link to this post PM Rigby5
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 994
Karma: 6 (+7/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

Rigby5 wrote:

The importation of slaves was made illegal way back in 1782.

The Spanish colonies made the children of slave to be free, way back in 1820, and ended slavery completely by 1853.

So clearly if Spain can do it in its colonies, the US would have soon ended slavery as well.
Sugar used high volumes of manual labor as much as cotton did.



The Spanish may have made the children of slaves free in 1820 because so many of those children were biologically related to Spanish men. And the British ended slavery about 20 years before the Spanish in the 1830s.

As I've mentioned, all we would have needed to do to avoid our very costly Civil War was to remain a British colony instead of deciding to needlessly rebel against British rule. A bunch of uppity smart alecks called the Founding Fathers made a boo boo.
5/26/2017, 12:08 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 2133
Karma: 10 (+16/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


British in 1833 after an abolitionist movement starting in 1780. The 1830's is not about 20 yrs. before the 1820's Biology had nothing to do with it, one was the Spanish American War, the other was the British, Dutch, Portuguese, French came together and decided no more shipping of slaves around within the same time period. The Spanish also shipped their slaves to their colonies, they did not take many Africans slaves back to their own country. You must be thinking of the Moors in Spain and those babies, which I happen to be a descendant.
5/26/2017, 2:03 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
John1959 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 775
Karma: 5 (+6/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

Philer wrote:
As I've mentioned, all we would have needed to do to avoid our very costly Civil War was to remain a British colony instead of deciding to needlessly rebel against British rule. A bunch of uppity smart alecks called the Founding Fathers made a boo boo.



I doubt very much that Southern slave owners would have peacefully agreed to the abolition of slavery just because we were part of the British empire.


---
It is wise to direct your anger towards problems - not people; to focus your energies on answers - not excuses. William Arthur Ward
5/26/2017, 2:10 am Link to this post PM John1959 Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 2133
Karma: 10 (+16/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


I agree with that, Southerners remind me of the Irish and Scots, they march to the beat of their own drummer.
5/26/2017, 2:39 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Rigby5 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 04-2005
Location: Mountain Time
Posts: 3414
Karma: 0 (+9/-9)
Reply | Quote
Re: Too stupid to ignore


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

Rigby5 wrote:

The importation of slaves was made illegal way back in 1782.

The Spanish colonies made the children of slave to be free, way back in 1820, and ended slavery completely by 1853.

So clearly if Spain can do it in its colonies, the US would have soon ended slavery as well.
Sugar used high volumes of manual labor as much as cotton did.



The Spanish may have made the children of slaves free in 1820 because so many of those children were biologically related to Spanish men. And the British ended slavery about 20 years before the Spanish in the 1830s.

As I've mentioned, all we would have needed to do to avoid our very costly Civil War was to remain a British colony instead of deciding to needlessly rebel against British rule. A bunch of uppity smart alecks called the Founding Fathers made a boo boo.



I am not sure I could buy that argument because one of the causes of the Civil War was role England played in competing with the north for selling manufactured goods in the south.
5/26/2017, 4:40 am Link to this post PM Rigby5
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 



You are not logged in (login)
Back To Top