Runboard.com
You're welcome.

runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


 
Bellelettres Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2008
Posts: 1241
Karma: 8 (+16/-8)
Reply | Quote
Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


Rachel outdid herself last night with a segment on the Russian connection to Trump (18 contacts, including bankers, accused money launderers, Kremlin officials, people close to Putin), the latest North Korea missile launch (with a range that could reach Washington D.C. or Mar-a-Lago), and an interview with Carmin Yulin Cruz about FEMA in Puerto Rico 11 weeks after the hurricane.

[sign in to see URL]
11/29/2017, 2:56 pm Link to this post PM Bellelettres
 
snowpixie Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 883
Karma: 6 (+10/-4)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


I've reordered it. Haven't yet viewed it.
11/29/2017, 6:51 pm Link to this post PM snowpixie Blog
 
GoHawk Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 10-2015
Location: Lost in space
Posts: 997
Karma: 7 (+9/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


Actually i agrree with Rachel Maddow totally at
Least 50% of the time, agree with her partially about 25% of the time, and totally disagree with her 25% or less of time. Yet for whatever reason, I have aiways found her be annoying. And i am sorry, but for some strange reason she grates on me. Oh well, tto each, their own.

---
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long live the Free Territory of Trieste (1947 - 1954)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yxq951CSa0
11/29/2017, 8:08 pm Link to this post PM GoHawk Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 3953
Karma: 25 (+40/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


 I agree with her most the time but for some strange reason she grates on me as well and for many I have no bragging rights either in that dept. We have an excuse, Maddow and I went to the same high school. It's a liberal Bay Area trait, right Hawk?
11/29/2017, 8:49 pm Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
birdcharm Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2017
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 180
Karma: 2 (+3/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


I've never been a big fan, and then somewhere along the line, probably during the Democratic primary season, I felt more and more that her reporting seemed to me to be more like propaganda than anything it was being "presented" as.
11/29/2017, 11:25 pm Link to this post PM birdcharm Blog
 
snowpixie Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 883
Karma: 6 (+10/-4)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

birdcharm wrote:

I've never been a big fan, and then somewhere along the line, probably during the Democratic primary season, I felt more and more that her reporting seemed to me to be more like propaganda than anything it was being "presented" as.


 
 
spare me, The propaganda crap, especially since you voted for Trump.
11/30/2017, 1:21 am Link to this post PM snowpixie Blog
 
birdcharm Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2017
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 180
Karma: 2 (+3/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

snowpixie wrote:

spare me, The propaganda crap, especially since you voted for Trump.




Where did you get the idea I voted for Trump?
11/30/2017, 2:20 am Link to this post PM birdcharm Blog
 
birdcharm Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2017
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 180
Karma: 2 (+3/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17





(from October 22, 2017)
11/30/2017, 3:02 am Link to this post PM birdcharm Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 3953
Karma: 25 (+40/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


I am quite doubtful on that assessment and would find a more valid article to support your claim. Jimmy Dore is a stand up comedian and what he presented is his opinion, not fact.
11/30/2017, 3:39 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
snowpixie Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 883
Karma: 6 (+10/-4)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

birdcharm wrote:

quote:

snowpixie wrote:

spare me, The propaganda crap, especially since you voted for Trump.




Where did you get the idea I voted for Trump?



I didn't get the idea, you told everybody on your board that you voted for Trump.
  
11/30/2017, 4:16 am Link to this post PM snowpixie Blog
 
birdcharm Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2017
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 180
Karma: 2 (+3/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

I am quite doubtful on that assessment and would find a more valid article to support your claim. Jimmy Dore is a stand up comedian and what he presented is his opinion, not fact.



I understand your point, although it is just all opinion in a sense. The quote from Janet Malcolm was interesting, which led me to her article at The New Yorker that I will try to read later.

]Article
11/30/2017, 4:28 am Link to this post PM birdcharm Blog
 
birdcharm Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2017
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 180
Karma: 2 (+3/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

snowpixie wrote:

quote:

birdcharm wrote:

quote:

snowpixie wrote:

spare me, The propaganda crap, especially since you voted for Trump.




Where did you get the idea I voted for Trump?



I didn't get the idea, you told everybody on your board that you voted for Trump.
  




I didn't vote for Donald Trump and I never posted that I had done any such thing.
11/30/2017, 4:32 am Link to this post PM birdcharm Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 3953
Karma: 25 (+40/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

birdcharm wrote:

quote:

katie5445 wrote:

I am quite doubtful on that assessment and would find a more valid article to support your claim. Jimmy Dore is a stand up comedian and what he presented is his opinion, not fact.



I understand your point, although it is just all opinion in a sense. The quote from Janet Malcolm was interesting, which led me to her article at The New Yorker that I will try to read later.

]Article



I'm not sure why you chose Malcolm you'll have to explain, not a person I'd hook myself up with for an opinion.
11/30/2017, 4:42 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
snowpixie Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 883
Karma: 6 (+10/-4)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

birdcharm wrote:

quote:

snowpixie wrote:

quote:

birdcharm wrote:

quote:

snowpixie wrote:

spare me, The propaganda crap, especially since you voted for Trump.




Where did you get the idea I voted for Trump?






I didn't vote for Donald Trump and I never posted that I had done any such thing.



Cathy, i posted as fatquarters4sale on your board. The day after the election you told us that you had changed your mind at the last minute and instead of voting for Jill Stein voted for Trump, because you could't stand to have a sexual predator in the White House.


 btw, sexism in America is holding Hillary accountable for her husband's behavior 20 years later.

I don't know who you are trying to fool here on this board, but I'll let you get back to your fake propaganda against Rachel.
11/30/2017, 8:47 am Link to this post PM snowpixie Blog
 
GoHawk Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 10-2015
Location: Lost in space
Posts: 997
Karma: 7 (+9/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


Katie, for thirteen years i felt as though i was the lone centrist voice of reason in the entire San Francisco Bay region.

By the way i think it is the condescension that annoys me most about Rachel Maddow. I really do not enjoy being spoken down to by anyone. Even by a Stanford grad and a Rhodes scholar. Hell, i am a Magna Cum Laude graduate of the University of Chicago with a PhD from Northwestern. All of that must be worth some degree of respect from Dr. Maddow.

---
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long live the Free Territory of Trieste (1947 - 1954)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yxq951CSa0
11/30/2017, 9:41 am Link to this post PM GoHawk Blog
 
Bellelettres Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2008
Posts: 1241
Karma: 8 (+16/-8)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


I like the way Rachel builds a story. She gives the historical background, sometimes going way back into the 20th century. (Donald Trump's father Fred was shown in the Ku Klux Klan in a picture from a newspaper in 1920, I think it was). Then she tells us how the history is relevant to what is currently happening. I never feel talked-down-to, Hawk. Of course I'm only a B.A. from the University of Texas in Austin, but I like plain language.
11/30/2017, 10:05 am Link to this post PM Bellelettres
 
GoHawk Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 10-2015
Location: Lost in space
Posts: 997
Karma: 7 (+9/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


Belle, i also prefer plain language. But then i am really a simple person. In fact there are those who think of me as simple minded.

i am probably more impressed with your BA from UT than i am with the graduate degrees of many of my colleagues over the years.

In my case my graduate degree was simply a necessity for my chosen career path. And i have only used the title Dr. on limited occasions. Most often when i call to make restaurant reservations.

To my students, my collegues, and to the staff working under me, i have always been known simply as Hawk. In fact, for some strange reason, even my youngest daughter has always called me Hawk. My oldest daughter calls me Papa, and my son refers to me as “Hey you”.

---
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long live the Free Territory of Trieste (1947 - 1954)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yxq951CSa0
11/30/2017, 10:34 am Link to this post PM GoHawk Blog
 
birdcharm Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2017
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 180
Karma: 2 (+3/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

snowpixie wrote:

Cathy, i posted as fatquarters4sale on your board. The day after the election you told us that you had changed your mind at the last minute and instead of voting for Jill Stein voted for Trump, because you could't stand to have a sexual predator in the White House.


 btw, sexism in America is holding Hillary accountable for her husband's behavior 20 years later.

I don't know who you are trying to fool here on this board, but I'll let you get back to your fake propaganda against Rachel.




So you know, you haven't spelled my name correctly, and you haven't recalled my posts correctly. I did not vote for Donald Trump and I never posted that I had ... not on any board, ever.

Sorry everyone, I didn't realize there was such a great misunderstanding between snowpixie and myself.



11/30/2017, 4:31 pm Link to this post PM birdcharm Blog
 
Bellelettres Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2008
Posts: 1241
Karma: 8 (+16/-8)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


Rachel's language is elegant in its simplicity. She has a rapid-fire delivery that grates on some people, and she repeats things, connecting them one way and then another. I don't think of her repetition as talking down, though. I think of it as emphasis. She talks fast, but she doesn't skip through her arguments so that you have to listen hard and closely to get her points. I usually don't like rapid-fire delivery. I'm from the South, so I need time to process what is being said before the speaker goes on to something else. I need repetition from a person who talks that fast. However, her diction is wonderful. I can hear her words because they are spoken with precision, and her voice is in a range that I hear in.
11/30/2017, 6:20 pm Link to this post PM Bellelettres
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

 I agree with her most the time but for some strange reason she grates on me as well and for many I have no bragging rights either in that dept. We have an excuse, Maddow and I went to the same high school. It's a liberal Bay Area trait, right Hawk?



I seldom have watched her and find her a little annoying also but if she is digging out some nuggets of truth on the subjects she discusses that's commendable. We need more journalists to do that rather than have them just repeating what they are told by officials.
11/30/2017, 6:58 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
GoHawk Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 10-2015
Location: Lost in space
Posts: 997
Karma: 7 (+9/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


Belle, if you dislike most rapid fire speech, you would absolutely love my spoken English. As my delivery is painfully slow. As, even after 40 years, I often find it necessary to translate my thoughts from Italian into English prior to speaking.

The same is true of my written English. And that is the reason it takes me two to three times as long to compose a simple paragraph. And i have never been able to scan apassage while reading. I must read word by word. And then generally reread entire paragraphs to provide clarity to what i am reading.

Oddly my spoken italian is stronger than my English. However my written English is vastly superior to my italian. The reasons for that are quite simple actually. My formal education in the Italian language ended after the eqivilant of the eighth grade. While English became the language of instruction throughout my prep school, my undergrad and grad school years. Followed by years of technical writing both in the private sector and academe.

I bekieve it would have been relatively easy to rid myself of the accent i have. But early on i discovered that the young ladies kin Northfield, Minnesota, and Chicago were actuallly somewhat captivated by a Triestine Italian accent. So who was i to deprive them of their joy. <Wink>

---
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long live the Free Territory of Trieste (1947 - 1954)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yxq951CSa0
11/30/2017, 7:06 pm Link to this post PM GoHawk Blog
 
Bellelettres Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2008
Posts: 1241
Karma: 8 (+16/-8)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


I'm sure I would love your voice, Andrea. A slight Italian accent is beautiful.
11/30/2017, 7:08 pm Link to this post PM Bellelettres
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

Bellelettres wrote:

I'm sure I would love your voice, Andrea. A slight Italian accent is beautiful.



11/30/2017, 7:14 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Bellelettres Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2008
Posts: 1241
Karma: 8 (+16/-8)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


Thanks, Philer.

Unfortunately, I don't have sound on my computer right now, so I can't hear these beautiful voices.
11/30/2017, 7:28 pm Link to this post PM Bellelettres
 
GoHawk Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 10-2015
Location: Lost in space
Posts: 997
Karma: 7 (+9/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

Bellelettres wrote:

Thanks, Philer.

Unfortunately, I don't have sound on my computer right now, so I can't hear these beautiful voices.



Trust me Belle. Chico Marx did no.t have an authentic Italian accent. <lol>

---
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long live the Free Territory of Trieste (1947 - 1954)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yxq951CSa0
12/1/2017, 2:27 pm Link to this post PM GoHawk Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Rachel Maddow 11/28/17


quote:

Bellelettres wrote:

Thanks, Philer.

Unfortunately, I don't have sound on my computer right now, so I can't hear these beautiful voices.



You're welcome, Belle. You need to get sound on your computer. You're missing a lot.
12/1/2017, 5:23 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 


Add a reply





You are not logged in (login)
Back To Top