Runboard.com
You're welcome.

runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4 

 
shiftless2 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 2460
Karma: 27 (+32/-5)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


How the CDC used “vulnerable,” “transgender” and other newly banned words in past documents

The Centers for Disease Control is the main public health institute in the United States. It is committed to helping Americans in a way that is science-based—er, oops, I can’t say that now.

That’s because ...

]CONTINUED>

12/17/2017, 1:17 am Link to this post PM shiftless2 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2948
Karma: 25 (+27/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


quote:

After all, it's difficult to have a rational conversation about abortion if you can't use the word "fetus" - and substituting emotionally charged terms like "unborn baby" isn't an acceptable [sign in to see URL]



I disagree. I have no problem having rational conversations about abortion while using the term unborn baby. One reason why is because the term is self-explanatory. Everyone knows what one is referring to when one uses the term even if they disagree with it being used to refer to a "fetus." It's not an ambiguous term.

In fact, if you want to have a rational and productive conversation with a "pro-lifer" you need to use the term unborn baby rather than the term "fetus." It's just another way to refer to the same thing. People who want to advocate the pro-choice position need to find common ground with "pro-lifers" and one way to do that is to adopt some of their terminology.

If pro-choicers can't even manage to do that the discussion will hit a big snag before it even gets off the ground and turn into anything but a rational discussion. It will turn into an emotional back and forth hissy fit with nobody getting anywhere.

That's one reason why the abortion controversy still rages on in this country.
12/17/2017, 8:32 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2948
Karma: 25 (+27/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

Agreed now I'm curious what the researchers that work for the CDC are supposed to call a fetus, a word that comes from Latin and is from 600 AD. Viviparous organism in human development is the other term, quite a mouthful.



Unborn baby will work. That's what a fetus is.
12/17/2017, 8:35 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
shiftless2 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 2460
Karma: 27 (+32/-5)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

katie5445 wrote:

Agreed now I'm curious what the researchers that work for the CDC are supposed to call a fetus, a word that comes from Latin and is from 600 AD. Viviparous organism in human development is the other term, quite a mouthful.



Unborn baby will work. That's what a fetus is.



It's not acceptable. That term is emotionally charged and immediately grants credibility to the pro-lifers and gives them the ability to claim that "even those in the pro-choice camp agree that abortion is killing an baby".
12/17/2017, 1:29 pm Link to this post PM shiftless2 Blog
 
shiftless2 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 2460
Karma: 27 (+32/-5)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


The Banned CDC List is Religious Right Terrorism

Donald Trump has reportedly banned the CDC from using the following words in their policies, budgets, and communications:

Evidence-based
Science-based
Fetuses
Transgender
Vulnerable
Entitlement
Diversity

This is not exactly true.

This is not Donald Trump’s handiwork.

He is not the author of this list.

He isn’t smart enough to come up with a combination of words so perfectly synchronized to hurt and silence marginalized people.

Only Evangelicals can do that.

As a Christian and twenty-year pastor, one who’s served for much of that time in the American Bible Belt—the list is eerily familiar.

It’s the extreme Evangelical Christian Right’s signature mix tape, the careful curated playlist they’ve had on heavy rotation in their indie gatherings for the past 60 years—only now it’s getting wide release, thanks to the monster they’ve aligned with; one who’s perfectly happy to disseminate it to keep their union intact.

Every sick, perverse Right Wing religious line of attack is there within those words:

- A disregarding of scientific fact in favor of necessary religious mythology.
- The unrelenting demonizing of the LGBTQ community.
- The hyperbolic vilifying of those defending a woman’s right to choose.
- The neglect of the poor and marginalizing and coddling of the wealthy.
- Open contempt for people of brown skin, foreigners, immigrants.
- Historic misogyny and raging white supremacy.

The list is a bulleted seven-point Sunday sermon outline, the kind that’s been given every weekend in pulpit pounding churches by spitting, sweating, furiously angry white men—who tell people the sky is falling and assure them only a vengeful white God can hold it up. They’re a list perfectly designed to leverage the fear Bible Belt Evangelicals work specifically and almost solely in.

These seven words are not the work of Donald Trump. He can barely craft a coherent Tweet, let alone compose a brilliant bit of subtle violence like this. This list is a wicked witch’s brew, crafted by the preachers and pastors and religious universities who’ve sold their souls to this President in order to get the market share that their extremism wouldn’t allow naturally. These words are written in the unmistakable hateful hand of the Pences, the Falwells, the Dobsons, the Grahams, the Southern Baptists, pro-lifers, and Family Values crusaders—and they’re tailor-made to legislate the Evangelical’s elevation of cisgender, white, wealthy Americans. It is mass murder without truck bombs and AK-47s. It’s domestic terrorism, just with less obvious weapons.

And it’s the kind of thing that would make Jesus turn over damn every table in sight, were he able to stop vomiting long enough to do so.

America is not a theocracy but it soon will be, unless people of faith and those who hold no spiritual tradition who recognize and abhor such religious extremism—oppose it loudly and continually. That this kind of forced compliance is the antithesis of the life and teachings of Jesus, as well as the Constitution. Both argue loudly against what’s happening here.

We cannot allow faith-based bigotry to become the law of the land here or we no longer need claim this nation a place where Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness matter. We can give up that whole Land of the Free, Home of the Brave garbage.

This CDC list is not random, it’s not impulsive, and it’s not the work of a bumbling, unintelligent, fraud like Donald Trump.

It is a deliberate, careful-crafted, dangerously precise work of white Evangelicals who aren’t going to watch their faith tradition die without taking out a whole lot of innocent people as it does.

This is what terrorists do.

And it’s what good people need to stop them from doing.

]SOURCE
12/17/2017, 2:53 pm Link to this post PM shiftless2 Blog
 
gopqed Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1264
Karma: 8 (+11/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


This is one of those things that needs a little more information to come to light before arriving at a judgment. We're only hearing one side of the story so far. HHS is saying that the conversation is being mischaracterized, but didn't say what that means.

For the moment, I recommend taking a deep breath and waiting for more information.
12/17/2017, 3:07 pm Link to this post PM gopqed Blog
 
gopqed Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1264
Karma: 8 (+11/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

Agreed now I'm curious what the researchers that work for the CDC are supposed to call a fetus, a word that comes from Latin and is from 600 AD. Viviparous organism in human development is the other term, quite a mouthful.



Researchers aren't writing budget documents.
12/17/2017, 4:55 pm Link to this post PM gopqed Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 5153
Karma: 28 (+43/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


They give the information to the budget committee and they use those terms in that information.
12/17/2017, 6:59 pm Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
gopqed Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1264
Karma: 8 (+11/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


The information we have only says the budget documents are affected. Information published by researchers is not affected. When drafting budget documents, they may have a valid reason for writing them in a more general or high-level fashion. Budget documents have a very specific use and audience. Until we get a better explanation of the reasons behind this, it's much ado about next to nothing.
12/17/2017, 7:13 pm Link to this post PM gopqed Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2948
Karma: 25 (+27/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Newspeak is alive and well in America ...


quote:

shiftless2 wrote:

quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

katie5445 wrote:

Agreed now I'm curious what the researchers that work for the CDC are supposed to call a fetus, a word that comes from Latin and is from 600 AD. Viviparous organism in human development is the other term, quite a mouthful.



Unborn baby will work. That's what a fetus is.



It's not acceptable. That term is emotionally charged and immediately grants credibility to the pro-lifers and gives them the ability to claim that "even those in the pro-choice camp agree that abortion is killing an baby".



It's an accurate term for what is being talked about. Fetus is just a technical term for the same thing. A developing, unborn baby.

And to move the discussion forward people in the pro-choice camp need to agree with pro-lifers that abortion is killing a developing baby because that is exactly what abortion is. The discussion will never move forward if pro-choicers can't even accept that fact and continue to spin their wheels denying reality.

What you advocate is a way to perpetuate the abortion controversy rather than resolve it.
12/17/2017, 7:35 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2  3  4 





You are not logged in (login)