Runboard.com
You're welcome.

runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4 

 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

are you incapable of differentiating between people taking medication for illness and people taking drugs because they are addicted?-mais



No, but I see no reason to do that. As I've pointed out, everyone who uses narcotics is responsible for using them safely. Addiction changes nothing.

quote:

BTW according to the CDC
Nearly half of all opioid overdose deaths involve a prescription opioid



And how many millions more people use prescription narcotics? The percentage rate of reckless and fatal use is much lower among that group than the ones who use black market narcotics.

Also, as I've pointed out, the people who use those prescription narcotics don't necessarily limit their drug use to those narcotics. A percentage sometimes mix them with other drugs that can make narcotic use more dangerous. Drugs like alcohol and anti-depressants.

For example, some celebrities have died due to mixing narcotics with other depressant drugs. Should we blame the narcotics rather than those other drugs? Or the users? If so, why?

quote:

doesnt this case PROVE categorically that giving addicts access to pharmaceutical grade opiates does not prevent over dose and death?



It only shows that it won't prevent everyone, including careless users, from overdosing. It doesn't prove that it isn't much safer to use prescription narcotics than it is to use illegal black market narcotics.

12/22/2017, 10:28 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

shiftless2 wrote:

quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

shiftless2 wrote:

Without seeing the entire trial (actually just the parts that the jury was allowed to see) and/or reading the transcripts of the parts the jury was present for I don't see how anyone can be an armchair quarterback in a case like this. And then you have to take the judge's directions into account.

Personally I would have thought that something equivalent to "criminal negligence causing death" would be the appropriate charge in the first place.



Why would anyone need to read the trial transcript to know that merely prescribing narcotics to patients, even doing so excessively, would not magically turn a doctor into a murderer? She didn't force anyone to take the drugs she prescribed at all much less to overdose on them.



Do you have any idea what the jury was allowed to hear? Or what instructions they were given by the judge? Absent that it's impossible to pass judgment on the jury's verdict.



Nonsense. There simply is no way that this woman could have committed second degree murder by issuing a lot of prescriptions for narcotics. It doesn't matter what baloney the prosecution or the judge generated.

If it was somehow magically possible then on any occasion when someone sells a gun to someone who then commits murder the gun seller is also guilty of murder.

In reality the doctor can't be guilty of murder because the person who receives the narcotics is responsible for their use, not the doctor.
12/22/2017, 10:47 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

katie5445 wrote:

It doesn't matter, it is an opinion and how Philer thinks it should be instead of the factual reality of the laws.



Yes, laws which should be changed. They would be if our government was rational enough to do so.

In regard to that quality it's not exactly functioning at a high level.



First I don't consider patients who put trust in their doctors directions, dumb asses, although the younger generation is far more interested in what they put in their mouth and do with do with their bodies. Secondly most legitimate MD's do not want to be the supplier of their patient's addiction nor their death. Laws are in place to protect them as well. Doctors who don't follow the rules are not only causing addiction but are responsible for deaths in over prescribing, they do it to make money, it keeps the addict coming back where they can bill $150- to $200 for that clinic visit when they spend a minute writing that Rx then bill the insurance company. They are scum bags and doctors of death and you're suggesting a very dangerous deadly game.



Would you prefer those addicted to narcotics being cut off and then turning to the black market? That has resulted in lots of people overdosing on heroin or heroin mixed with fentanyl, a much more powerful and dangerous narcotic.

As I said, this "murderous" doctor may have saved lives by keeping addicts from turning to that dangerous black market. And for doing that she is rewarded by the government by being falsely accused of murder and railroaded into prison to serve a 30 year sentence. Ludicrous.

12/22/2017, 10:52 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
mais oui Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3819
Karma: 12 (+18/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

Would you prefer those addicted to narcotics being cut off and then turning to the black market?



I would prefer that they didnt take heroin


quote:

As I said, this "murderous" doctor may have saved lives by keeping addicts from turning to that dangerous black market.



you have no way of knowing if she saved a single life - but she DID assist in the deaths of at least three
12/22/2017, 10:55 pm Link to this post PM mais oui Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

I would prefer that they didnt take heroin-mais



And I would prefer that people not smoke or drink alcohol but it's not really my business if they choose to do so.

People have the same right to use heroin that they have to use any other drug, including alcohol, for the purpose of eliminating pain or getting high.

quote:

you have no way of knowing if she saved a single life - but she DID assist in the deaths of at least three



True, I have no way of knowing that but it certainly is likely since using prescription narcotics is safer than using black market drugs like heroin or even worse, heroin mixed with fentanyl.
12/22/2017, 11:08 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
mais oui Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3819
Karma: 12 (+18/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

People have the same right to use heroin that they have to use any other drug, including alcohol, for the purpose of eliminating pain or getting high.



I differentiate between use (for intractable pain) and abuse(to get high) if you abuse opiates Im afraid I have little sympathy (I dont have much for alcoholics or smokers either)
12/23/2017, 12:03 am Link to this post PM mais oui Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 3953
Karma: 26 (+40/-14)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

I would prefer that they didnt take heroin-mais



And I would prefer that people not smoke or drink alcohol but it's not really my business if they choose to do so.

People have the same right to use heroin that they have to use any other drug, including alcohol, for the purpose of eliminating pain or getting high.

quote:

you have no way of knowing if she saved a single life - but she DID assist in the deaths of at least three



True, I have no way of knowing that but it certainly is likely since using prescription narcotics is safer than using black market drugs like heroin or even worse, heroin mixed with fentanyl.



We have methadone and suboxone programs in this country, thousands and thousands are on them, that is what other countries use for addicts, few persons are accepted in heroin programs and no country prescribes oxy's either.
12/23/2017, 8:33 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
shiftless2 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1869
Karma: 17 (+22/-5)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

Philer wrote:

Do you have any idea what the jury was allowed to hear? Or what instructions they were given by the judge? Absent that it's impossible to pass judgment on the jury's verdict.



Nonsense. There simply is no way that this woman could have committed second degree murder by issuing a lot of prescriptions for narcotics. It doesn't matter what baloney the prosecution or the judge generated.



So you're saying that it doesn't matter what happened in the courtroom, what evidence was presented, or what instructions the jury was given? All that matters is they arrived at a decision you don't like?
12/23/2017, 3:08 pm Link to this post PM shiftless2 Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 3953
Karma: 26 (+40/-14)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

are you incapable of differentiating between people taking medication for illness and people taking drugs because they are addicted?-mais



No, but I see no reason to do that. As I've pointed out, everyone who uses narcotics is responsible for using them safely. Addiction changes nothing.

quote:

BTW according to the CDC
Nearly half of all opioid overdose deaths involve a prescription opioid



And how many millions more people use prescription narcotics? The percentage rate of reckless and fatal use is much lower among that group than the ones who use black market narcotics.

Also, as I've pointed out, the people who use those prescription narcotics don't necessarily limit their drug use to those narcotics. A percentage sometimes mix them with other drugs that can make narcotic use more dangerous. Drugs like alcohol and anti-depressants.

For example, some celebrities have died due to mixing narcotics with other depressant drugs. Should we blame the narcotics rather than those other drugs? Or the users? If so, why?

quote:

doesnt this case PROVE categorically that giving addicts access to pharmaceutical grade opiates does not prevent over dose and death?



It only shows that it won't prevent everyone, including careless users, from overdosing. It doesn't prove that it isn't much safer to use prescription narcotics than it is to use illegal black market narcotics.




First I have never met an addict that sticks to one drug legal or illegal, they have their first choice but will take most anything else. Back in 2000 I read an article in the New England Journal of medicine, MD's were already getting concerned about the overuse of their prescribed pain meds, the rate then was 1-2%. His warning was it will increase and those who aren't addicts will severely suffer and they are. The rate is at 10-12% now with legitimates being cut off. My 69 y.o. cousin just broke her elbow, her ortho who has done many major surgeries on her over years, refused pain meds and she has absolutely no history of abuse. There is where my concern lies. This country has a terrible history of trying to right a wrong and making it worse. As I said, there is much available treatment for addicts who want to stop, methadone or suboxone. What is the person in chronic pain, post op or an accident/injury supposed to do, the suggestion is pop some ibuprofen, right.
12/24/2017, 1:00 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

mais oui wrote:

quote:

People have the same right to use heroin that they have to use any other drug, including alcohol, for the purpose of eliminating pain or getting high.



I differentiate between use (for intractable pain) and abuse(to get high) if you abuse opiates Im afraid I have little sympathy (I dont have much for alcoholics or smokers either)



It's not all that important to have sympathy for people who use drugs to get high but it is important to recognize that they have a right to use narcotics for that purpose as much as they have a right to smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. When people don't recognize that that's when we get idiotic efforts like our "war on drugs" which results in people being harassed by the police and imprisoned when they haven't done anything that is morally wrong.

  

12/24/2017, 4:52 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

shiftless2 wrote:

quote:

Philer wrote:

Do you have any idea what the jury was allowed to hear? Or what instructions they were given by the judge? Absent that it's impossible to pass judgment on the jury's verdict.



Nonsense. There simply is no way that this woman could have committed second degree murder by issuing a lot of prescriptions for narcotics. It doesn't matter what baloney the prosecution or the judge generated.



So you're saying that it doesn't matter what happened in the courtroom, what evidence was presented, or what instructions the jury was given? All that matters is they arrived at a decision you don't like?



All that matters is that they arrived at a verdict that doesn't make any sense.

Suppose a gun dealer illegally sold a gun to a young man with a criminal record who then accidentally shot and killed himself. Or illegally vouched for him so that he could obtain one. Would that gun dealer be guilty of second degree murder?

Unless the doctor personally visited those three young men who overdosed and forced them to take the drugs that they overdosed on she can't be guilty of second degree murder. Nothing I've read indicates that she did that.
12/24/2017, 5:03 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

are you incapable of differentiating between people taking medication for illness and people taking drugs because they are addicted?-mais



No, but I see no reason to do that. As I've pointed out, everyone who uses narcotics is responsible for using them safely. Addiction changes nothing.

quote:

BTW according to the CDC
Nearly half of all opioid overdose deaths involve a prescription opioid



And how many millions more people use prescription narcotics? The percentage rate of reckless and fatal use is much lower among that group than the ones who use black market narcotics.

Also, as I've pointed out, the people who use those prescription narcotics don't necessarily limit their drug use to those narcotics. A percentage sometimes mix them with other drugs that can make narcotic use more dangerous. Drugs like alcohol and anti-depressants.

For example, some celebrities have died due to mixing narcotics with other depressant drugs. Should we blame the narcotics rather than those other drugs? Or the users? If so, why?

quote:

doesnt this case PROVE categorically that giving addicts access to pharmaceutical grade opiates does not prevent over dose and death?



It only shows that it won't prevent everyone, including careless users, from overdosing. It doesn't prove that it isn't much safer to use prescription narcotics than it is to use illegal black market narcotics.




First I have never met an addict that sticks to one drug legal or illegal, they have their first choice but will take most anything else. Back in 2000 I read an article in the New England Journal of medicine, MD's were already getting concerned about the overuse of their prescribed pain meds, the rate then was 1-2%. His warning was it will increase and those who aren't addicts will severely suffer and they are. The rate is at 10-12% now with legitimates being cut off. My 69 y.o. cousin just broke her elbow, her ortho who has done many major surgeries on her over years, refused pain meds and she has absolutely no history of abuse. There is where my concern lies. This country has a terrible history of trying to right a wrong and making it worse. As I said, there is much available treatment for addicts who want to stop, methadone or suboxone. What is the person in chronic pain, post op or an accident/injury supposed to do, the suggestion is pop some ibuprofen, right.



You bring up a very valid and important point. This is my concern too. People who are in pain who need these kinds of drugs should not have any trouble getting them.

Sending a doctor to prison for second degree murder who merely prescribed a lot of them to a lot of patients is not a way to make sure that they do.
12/24/2017, 5:20 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 3953
Karma: 26 (+40/-14)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


Doctors who over prescribe are not concerned about patient issues, they are concerned about their pocketbook. You do not have to turn to street drugs. Doctors that over prescribe to not care about the patient, they care about the money and they keep reaping in $$$ because they keep those patients coming back for their drugs. What don't you understand that is it is

 not helping addicts but keeping them addicts with approval by their own describer! And "merely" prescribed has got to be the lousiest reason I see to what a doctor actually can control, you don't merely write an Rx for anyone for anything, narcotics or not, what are you thinking!
12/24/2017, 6:33 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

Doctors who over prescribe are not concerned about patient issues, they are concerned about their pocketbook. You do not have to turn to street drugs. Doctors that over prescribe to not care about the patient, they care about the money and they keep reaping in $$$ because they keep those patients coming back for their drugs. What don't you understand that is it is

 not helping addicts but keeping them addicts with approval by their own describer! And "merely" prescribed has got to be the lousiest reason I see to what a doctor actually can control, you don't merely write an Rx for anyone for anything, narcotics or not, what are you thinking!



Taking their medical license away, forcing them to pay a heavy fine or money to families who have lost a loved one if it was partly due to negligence in issuing prescriptions. There are a lot of possible remedies that would make sense in the case of a doctor who was only in it to make money and issuing too many prescriptions for people who didn't need them. Plenty of ways to deal with a doctor running a "pill mill" that aren't extremely dumb.

Having a dumb, biased jury convict them of second degree murder is not one of them.



Last edited by Philer, 12/24/2017, 9:51 am
12/24/2017, 9:38 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3291
Karma: 4 (+14/-10)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


Juries are neither appointed nor strictly volunteer, they are chosen by interview by BOTH sides attorneys on a case. There should be no bias and should be warned during the process of No Bias or they are sent back to the waiting area or released.
12/24/2017, 10:54 am Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
mais oui Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3819
Karma: 12 (+18/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

Juries are neither appointed nor strictly volunteer, they are chosen by interview by BOTH sides attorneys on a case



that that (in my opinion) is part of the the problem with the US jury system.

the jury is essentially hand picked.

In the UK system the jury is the first 12 names 'out of the hat' there is no voir dire
12/24/2017, 11:32 am Link to this post PM mais oui Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3291
Karma: 4 (+14/-10)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


And yet Hand Picked by BOTH legal teams and still in this instance enough mounted evidence came forth to push a conviction. A jury is warned and coached to not base Any finding on any aspect beyond presented evidence. The Judge just prior to closing arguments by both attorneys, unlike the TV courts room scenes directs just as such where the jury may disregard and ignore said arguments as they are NOT evidence.
12/24/2017, 12:26 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
mais oui Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3819
Karma: 12 (+18/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

And yet Hand Picked by BOTH legal teams



and which side (usually) has the most time, money and resources to research the jury?
12/24/2017, 1:52 pm Link to this post PM mais oui Blog
 
shiftless2 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 1869
Karma: 17 (+22/-5)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

shiftless2 wrote:

quote:

Philer wrote:

Do you have any idea what the jury was allowed to hear? Or what instructions they were given by the judge? Absent that it's impossible to pass judgment on the jury's verdict.



Nonsense. There simply is no way that this woman could have committed second degree murder by issuing a lot of prescriptions for narcotics. It doesn't matter what baloney the prosecution or the judge generated.



So you're saying that it doesn't matter what happened in the courtroom, what evidence was presented, or what instructions the jury was given? All that matters is they arrived at a decision you don't like?



All that matters is that they arrived at a verdict that doesn't make any sense.

Suppose a gun dealer illegally sold a gun to a young man with a criminal record who then accidentally shot and killed himself. Or illegally vouched for him so that he could obtain one. Would that gun dealer be guilty of second degree murder?

Unless the doctor personally visited those three young men who overdosed and forced them to take the drugs that they overdosed on she can't be guilty of second degree murder. Nothing I've read indicates that she did that.



That's not the question - strawman arguments don't carry any weight - what exactly did the jurors hear and what instructions were they given by the judge? If you don't know that all you can say is that they arrived at a verdict you don't like.
12/24/2017, 2:05 pm Link to this post PM shiftless2 Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3291
Karma: 4 (+14/-10)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

mais oui wrote:

quote:

And yet Hand Picked by BOTH legal teams



and which side (usually) has the most time, money and resources to research the jury?



The TV show image of jury research is about as farcical as it gets, 99% of US juries are picked day before or at most a week or two ahead in high profile cases. They are not researched as such just interviewed and questioned. Both sides of the trial legal system can say yea or nay as to any sitting on the jury, they can also request alternates should a 'Hostile' juror be discovered.

Been called for two Federal cases and one local, all were worked the same as to jury.
12/24/2017, 2:52 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
gopqed Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 941
Karma: 6 (+9/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


You just didn't know that you were selected based on the color of your skivvies, cooter.
12/24/2017, 2:59 pm Link to this post PM gopqed Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3291
Karma: 4 (+14/-10)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


We were all questioned in a general group, then split into separate interviews over the course of a day. The Attorneys asked pertinent questions as to determining racial bias, personal dislikes, they could read a fellow that was lying as to trying to get on a jury to hang it. He had stated so to other jurors but that was never asked of us by interviewers that I know of.
12/24/2017, 3:44 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
mais oui Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3819
Karma: 12 (+18/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


with access to the name and address (which the prosecution would undoubtedly have)a decent investigator can find out an awful lot about a juror in a few minutes - do they bother for every case? probably not but for important/influential cases I think that they do bother
12/24/2017, 3:45 pm Link to this post PM mais oui Blog
 
gopqed Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 941
Karma: 6 (+9/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


The defense would have the same access to potential juror names as the prosecution. However, here the jury panels are selected immediately before the jury panel is called into the courtroom.
12/24/2017, 4:02 pm Link to this post PM gopqed Blog
 
snowpixie Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 874
Karma: 6 (+10/-4)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

I disagree, she had malice in her heart because she was running a pill [sign in to see URL]



If a doctor believes that patients are responsible for taking their medications according to directions and that those medications can be safely used if those directions are followed how is she demonstrating malice by "running a pill mill?"





You can bet that she didn't want her patients overdosing even if her main goal was making a profit. There is no evidence of malice on her part. She wasn't out to hurt her patients. Why would she have been?

quote:

Dr. Tseng was notified by authorities each time 12 of her patients O.D. She received countless phone calls from her patients’ families, begging her to stop over-prescribing their loved ones. Many testified against her in court.



What exactly is over-prescribing? Sounds more like an imaginary crime than a real one. You should realize that even if she prescribed just a standard prescription of 30 narcotic pills at a time to any patient that they could overdose on that amount. Prescribing many more than that isn't going to make any difference.

Patients could also experience extremely serious complications if they mixed relatively small doses of narcotics with other drugs including alcohol. This information is not kept secret from patients. It has to be up to them to make sure they use those drugs safely.

And the families of overdose victims want to find someone to blame other than their relatives. An understandable thing for someone in their position to do but it doesn't make the doctor a murderer even if they did testify in court against her.

quote:

Dr. Tseng prescribed exorbitant amounts of painkillers 27,000 prescriptions in just three-year, that's 75 prescriptions a day.
How responsible is that? She was also convicted of illegally writing prescriptions for two of the deceased patients and 16 other people, including two undercover agents who were investigating how easily she prescribed addictive pain pills after brief office visits. She was acquitted of illegally writing a hydrocodone prescription to a third undercover officer.



She may have prescribed narcotics to some people who didn't need them but even if she did that doesn't make her a murderer. And sometimes it's difficult to know whether someone needs a narcotic or not. Some people lie about pain that they are allegedly experiencing and there is no test for pain.

Making a lot of money by prescribing to a lot of people doesn't make her a murderer either. People who receive these drugs are still responsible for seeing to it that they use them safely.

quote:

Dr.'s are now on notice, that they cannot run pill mills without consequences.



Yeah, they are on notice that they may become the victims of a justice system that has gone haywire in its crusade against "murderous" doctors. Of course they are only murderous in the imaginations of the crusaders.

quote:

I think what you are missing, is that those exorbitantly high prescriptions rate she's filling, has turned people into addicts. when you say if she cuts them off, they will turn to illegal methods.



Prescriptions for narcotics don't turn anyone into an addict.

quote:

That's like putting the cart before the horse she's not suppose to subscribe medicine that gets them addicted in the first place.



Then bartenders and liquor stores shouldn't be dispensing alcohol that gets people addicted in the first place but I don't see any folks in those professions being locked up for murder.



 i am probably wasting my time, but, i feel like i should reply.

she was found guilty of illegally prescribing medicine not once but twice to two of the patients who O.D. STOP IGNORING THAT. That's a pill mill Dr. I don't care if you think heroin should be legalized to excuse everybody accountability. There are laws in this country for a reason.

There are lines that are drawn for the better good of a country, in order to protect it's citizens. If you don't like our laws in regard to heroin use. find a country that has no laws about heroin use, oh wait there isn't any. Now if you want to talk about how the alcohol industry is waging a smear campaign claiming marijuana is dangerous. I'm your gal, their campaign is self serving joke.

Last edited by snowpixie, 12/24/2017, 5:12 pm
12/24/2017, 5:01 pm Link to this post PM snowpixie Blog
 
cooter50 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3291
Karma: 4 (+14/-10)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


Pill mill is abuse of the doctors privilege as to caring or lack thereof to the patient. It really is not a Second Degree murder more like manslaughter if one would push that.

I would be certain will be appealed, a second trial could overturn the existing conviction.
12/24/2017, 10:12 pm Link to this post PM cooter50 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

cooter50 wrote:

Juries are neither appointed nor strictly volunteer, they are chosen by interview by BOTH sides attorneys on a case. There should be no bias and should be warned during the process of No Bias or they are sent back to the waiting area or released.



It doesn't matter that they are chosen by both sides. In this case the defense had to be at a disadvantage because to be found qualified to sit on the jury by the prosecution a juror would need to be the kind of person who would support the "war on drugs." For that matter, most Americans have no major issue with the "war on drugs" especially when it comes to "hard" drugs like heroin and other narcotics. That introduces bias right at the start.

Add to that the fact that this doctor was a woman and an Asian woman to boot and the defense was facing an uphill battle against bias. They couldn't get objective and rational people on the jury because there wouldn't have been enough in the jury pool to begin with and those few would have been rejected by the prosecution.

So, the defense was saddled with the virtually impossible task of defending their client against melodramatic prosecution bullshit and a truly stacked deck consisting of a group of jurors who were far too biased and incompetent to be sitting in judgment of the defendant. The outcome of this trial wasn't surprising although even a bunch of dopes like these jurors should have been able to recognize that the doctor wasn't guilty of second degree murder.

Maybe they did realize that and just didn't care. Regardless they were far too stupid to be on a jury.
12/25/2017, 11:28 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

cooter50 wrote:

And yet Hand Picked by BOTH legal teams and still in this instance enough mounted evidence came forth to push a conviction. A jury is warned and coached to not base Any finding on any aspect beyond presented evidence. The Judge just prior to closing arguments by both attorneys, unlike the TV courts room scenes directs just as such where the jury may disregard and ignore said arguments as they are NOT evidence.



It wasn't evidence that led to the jury's conviction of the defendant for second degree murder. That wasn't possible since there was no evidence of second degree murder even taking place.

Three young men overdosed on drugs. At least one of them mixed his prescription drug with alcohol and was killed by that combination. Overdosing on drugs does not qualify as second degree murder.

It had to be bias in favor of the victims and prejudice against the female doctor that led to her conviction for that crime.


Last edited by Philer, 12/26/2017, 12:26 am
12/25/2017, 11:32 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

That's not the question - strawman arguments don't carry any weight - what exactly did the jurors hear and what instructions were they given by the judge? If you don't know that all you can say is that they arrived at a verdict you don't [sign in to see URL]



No strawman argument is being used. You claim that it matters what the jurors heard and what instructions were given by the judge. I've been pointing out that it doesn't matter.

There is no way that this doctor could have been guilty of committing second degree murder by issuing prescriptions for narcotics to patients. It doesn't matter how many she issued nor if she was in it primarily to make money. She didn't commit second degree murder.

And I don't like the verdict because it was a stupid verdict which doesn't make any sense. It's a product of bias favoring the three young male victims and their families and prejudice against the female doctor, not the rational evaluation of evidence.
12/25/2017, 11:42 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user
Global user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 2012
Karma: 12 (+14/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Another moronic jury demonstrates its stupidity


quote:

i am probably wasting my time, but, i feel like i should reply.

she was found guilty of illegally prescribing medicine not once but twice to two of the patients who O.D. STOP IGNORING THAT. That's a pill mill Dr. I don't care if you think heroin should be legalized to excuse everybody accountability. There are laws in this country for a [sign in to see URL]



I have no problem with her being found guilty of illegally prescribing medicine. What I have a problem with is her being found guilty of three counts of second degree murder, a crime she couldn't possibly be guilty of committing.

Our laws are certainly there for a reason but the second degree murder laws shouldn't be used to put away people who didn't violate those laws whom we don't like but want to see locked up for a longer period of time.

quote:

There are lines that are drawn for the better good of a country, in order to protect it's citizens. If you don't like our laws in regard to heroin use. find a country that has no laws about heroin use, oh wait there isn't any. Now if you want to talk about how the alcohol industry is waging a smear campaign claiming marijuana is dangerous. I'm your gal, their campaign is self serving joke.



While I would like to see heroin legalized in this country to save lives by protecting people from a dangerous black market that has nothing to do with my objection to putting a woman in prison for thirty years for crimes she couldn't possibly have committed. Everybody should be outraged about that. Not just me.

The fact that neither you nor anyone else here appears to be upset about it tells me all I need to know about the likelihood that our jury system could possibly function well.

This woman obviously did not commit second degree murder and yet she is locked up in prison for 30 years on that charge with no parole thanks to an extremely biased and incompetent jury! Where's your outrage?
12/26/2017, 12:11 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2  3  4 





You are not logged in (login)
Back To Top