Runboard.com
You're welcome.





runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 4467
Karma: 26 (+29/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


quote:

If you are the Chosen One and know who will kill some one, soon, maybe. -Geezess



If someone commits murder it's not difficult to see that they fit the profile of a murderer. Will they kill again? Some murderers have. In some cases they've killed more than one person after getting out of prison.

There is no rational pro-life morality that demands that a society take that chance by not executing them.

quote:

Life in prison has the same effect of stopping a convicted killer from killing others. Deny that.



Since if they are not executed there is no way of guaranteeing that they will remain in prison or that they won't kill while in prison there is not even any need to deny it.

quote:

Philer, but THAT is today's false premise.
You always got one.
It's rhetorically illogical that being "pro-life" means supporting capital punishment.
If you support the State taking a life or ruining someone's life don't say you are "pro-life" .



I'm pro-life and I support capital punishment simply because it is a way to guarantee that a murderer will not kill another innocent person. That is perfectly consistent with being pro-life.

quote:

In fact it supports my contention that the "pro-life" movement should be called anti freedom advocates of more big government interference in a woman personal moral decisions.



It's easier just to call them anti-choice. That's what the mass media should have done all along.
 
quote:

This, it seems is a long standing part your "pro-life" movement , too:



Not my "pro-life" movement. Those anti-choice folks who seem to favor violence against the innocent are not truly pro-life.
8/23/2019, 3:58 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 6301
Karma: 31 (+46/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


You said the key word, "my" as in your world, that is an opinion and you will find both groups with different boundaries as it is personal, whether religious or non religious claiming ethics/morals/laws. You have Rep. Steve King on pro life who wondered if there would be a population if not for rape/incest(disgusting) to someone like me who is pro choice but thinks 20 wks. is to late except in medical cases, rape/incest, which I have been called, not being pro choice then.
8/24/2019, 12:10 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 6301
Karma: 31 (+46/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


I forgot my point. emoticon You try to hard to make every thing black or white, right or left, one side or the other, when lines can go all over the place including in the same "group."
8/24/2019, 12:14 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 4467
Karma: 26 (+29/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

You said the key word, "my" as in your world, that is an opinion and you will find both groups with different boundaries as it is personal, whether religious or non religious claiming ethics/morals/laws. You have Rep. Steve King on pro life who wondered if there would be a population if not for rape/incest(disgusting) to someone like me who is pro choice but thinks 20 wks. is to late except in medical cases, rape/incest, which I have been called, not being pro choice then.



The abortion issue is obviously a moral(and ethical) issue and the various views on it don't change that fact nor do they change the fact that there is one side that is right. It's the pro-choice side.

Of course that doesn't mean that there should be no limits on abortion and Roe v Wade didn't claim otherwise.
8/24/2019, 2:58 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 4467
Karma: 26 (+29/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

I forgot my point. emoticon You try to hard to make every thing black or white, right or left, one side or the other, when lines can go all over the place including in the same "group."



A lot of issues are black and white issues, katie. The abortion issue is one of them.

The complex nature of it and wide spectrum of views on the issue doesn't change that fact.
8/24/2019, 3:02 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 6301
Karma: 31 (+46/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


You are black and white, that is how some people are, most of us have some gray in there. That you want to put persons in box number one or box number two, is your issue, not mine. You said it best when you stated it is a complex issue with wide spectrums, complex issues are neither black/white and neither are persons opinions. You actually have argued with, yourself.........which I agree, doesn't change the fact.
8/24/2019, 7:14 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Bellelettres Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 11-2008
Posts: 2042
Karma: 13 (+22/-9)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


If I'm not mistaken, the term limit was the only one Roe v. Wade puts on abortion. Am I mistaken?
8/24/2019, 3:09 pm Link to this post PM Bellelettres
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 4467
Karma: 26 (+29/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

You are black and white, that is how some people are, most of us have some gray in there. That you want to put persons in box number one or box number two, is your issue, not mine. You said it best when you stated it is a complex issue with wide spectrums, complex issues are neither black/white and neither are persons opinions. You actually have argued with, yourself.........which I agree, doesn't change the fact.



Complexity doesn't mean that there isn't a simple and correct black and white answer to a question. That applies in mathematics as well as in ethics.

As for putting people in a category, if they are wrong they are wrong. And being wrong often has very dire consequences.
8/24/2019, 10:03 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 4467
Karma: 26 (+29/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


quote:

Bellelettres wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the term limit was the only one Roe v. Wade puts on abortion. Am I mistaken?



It restricted legal abortion to the first and second trimester unless some medical issue other than the pregnancy itself called for an abortion as the proper medical procedure.

It definitely drew a line in regard to when a legal abortion could be performed when there were no medical complications.
8/24/2019, 10:11 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Shetaki Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 07-2019
Posts: 51
Karma: 1 (+1/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: What does being pro-life really mean?


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

Bellelettres wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the term limit was the only one Roe v. Wade puts on abortion. Am I mistaken?



It restricted legal abortion to the first and second trimester unless some medical issue other than the pregnancy itself called for an abortion as the proper medical procedure.

It definitely drew a line in regard to when a legal abortion could be performed when there were no medical complications.



Little interjection here, but I think I could get behind first/second term. But not making up your mind before that is silly (and you'd definitely know you were pregnant by then).

---
Have a good day!

-Selia
8/25/2019, 2:13 am Link to this post   Blog
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6 





You are not logged in (login)