Runboard.com
You're welcome.





runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3  4 ... 6  7  8 

 
Geezess Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 2831
Karma: 10 (+15/-5)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


"What exactly is the responsibility of film makers" besides turning a buck ?
9/28/2019, 5:14 pm Link to this post PM Geezess Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 6301
Karma: 31 (+46/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


You could probably could get millions of persons to respond in a million different ways, because there is the legality then there are personal morals. Our free speech clause in the Constitution has has given us more leeway than many persons in this country realize and I don't mean versus countries like N. Korea but other western countries that don't have a written in stone Constitution. Take the Westboro Church decision, I found that so painful, I would have called that starting a fire and I would have had them stopped but I was pretty much alone on that one, even with persons who found it extremely painful as well, it was their right to free speech. It can be legal but still immoral depending on ones morals which makes me assume if it's legal, they have met their responsibility, in their eyes and the laws.
9/28/2019, 7:20 pm Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
mais oui Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 4829
Karma: 17 (+23/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

Our free speech clause in the Constitution has has given us more leeway than many persons in this country realize



Im getting quite tired of posting this but here goes again


there is no free speech in America and there never was, all the constitution does is restrict what ONE BRANCH of government can do anyone else (including the other two branches of government) if free to restrict your speech.

American freedom of speech is a myth like Abner Doubleday inventing baseball and the separation of church and state

---
HAPPINESS, THE IGNOBLE LIFE GOAL OF THE ILLITERATE
9/28/2019, 11:55 pm Link to this post PM mais oui Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 6301
Karma: 31 (+46/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


Not a lot of countries are very good at separating church and state, is it not true that you will not have a Catholic queen/king and the Archbishop of Canterbury still seems to have quite a lot of pull in personal bits. I take your point but you also exaggerated. University students have had certain groups squashed of late but you can still take it public and to the press. Minority groups are the same, women, kids, non white persons.....but you can't suppress it, the SC has ruled that more than once. Have you read the Westboro Church decision? When I say free speech at times I am also talking of the difference between the two societies and how persons express themselves towards others, especially in hate speech, which from my read is against the law in the UK. Here even the president and powers that be can express hate speech freely.
9/29/2019, 2:10 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 4467
Karma: 26 (+29/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

Geezess wrote:

"What exactly is the responsibility of film makers" besides turning a buck ?



I think they have a responsibility to not promote violent crime by making it look appealing and acceptable to stupid people. They can make tons of money without doing that.
9/29/2019, 6:58 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 4467
Karma: 26 (+29/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

You could probably could get millions of persons to respond in a million different ways, because there is the legality then there are personal morals. Our free speech clause in the Constitution has has given us more leeway than many persons in this country realize and I don't mean versus countries like N. Korea but other western countries that don't have a written in stone Constitution. Take the Westboro Church decision, I found that so painful, I would have called that starting a fire and I would have had them stopped but I was pretty much alone on that one, even with persons who found it extremely painful as well, it was their right to free speech. It can be legal but still immoral depending on ones morals which makes me assume if it's legal, they have met their responsibility, in their eyes and the laws.



From a legal standpoint maybe but from a moral one? That's a whole other kettle of fish. Suppose a film maker made a movie about a serial killer but instead of the victims being young women he made it with very young children as the victims. Do you think for one moment this society would tolerate a film which depicted in graphic detail young children being sliced and diced by some murderer with fertilizer for brains who then escaped at the end of the film so that a sequel could be made?

Of course if films are perfectly harmless and only about portraying real life in this society the question arises why hasn't such a film been made? There have been serial killers who have murdered little children. Why don't we see films being made about them showing us all the realistic details of their butchery?

Last edited by Philer, 9/29/2019, 7:09 am
9/29/2019, 7:07 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
mais oui Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 4829
Karma: 17 (+23/-6)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

Not a lot of countries are very good at separating church and state, is it not true that you will not have a Catholic queen/king and the Archbishop of Canterbury still seems to have quite a lot of pull in personal bits.



UK makes no claim of separation of church and state it is by both constitution and tradition a christian country, the head of the state is also the head of the church.

The church as of right holds seats in our upper chamber of government (The Lords Spiritual).

BUT our state even with its Christian ethos is less encumbered with religion than the secular USA.

My point is that I am sick of Americans talking about their freedom of speech when it is in fact a myth

---
HAPPINESS, THE IGNOBLE LIFE GOAL OF THE ILLITERATE
9/29/2019, 9:56 am Link to this post PM mais oui Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 4467
Karma: 26 (+29/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

mais oui wrote:

quote:

Our free speech clause in the Constitution has has given us more leeway than many persons in this country realize



Im getting quite tired of posting this but here goes again


there is no free speech in America and there never was, all the constitution does is restrict what ONE BRANCH of government can do anyone else (including the other two branches of government) if free to restrict your speech.

American freedom of speech is a myth like Abner Doubleday inventing baseball and the separation of church and state



It's worse than that. The Constitution doesn't really restrict the government from limiting speech that it wants to limit because it will devise some "good" reason for curtailing free speech when it wants to do so despite the First Amendment. Or allow state governments to restrict it.

Not only that but the public will likely not get upset by it, going along with the government's restriction on free speech.
9/29/2019, 12:49 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Geezess Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 2831
Karma: 10 (+15/-5)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

Geezess wrote:

"What exactly is the responsibility of film makers" besides turning a buck ?



I think they have a responsibility to not promote violent crime by making it look appealing and acceptable to stupid people. They can make tons of money without doing that.



Why and since when ?
9/29/2019, 4:30 pm Link to this post PM Geezess Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 4467
Karma: 26 (+29/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

Geezess wrote:

quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

Geezess wrote:

"What exactly is the responsibility of film makers" besides turning a buck ?



I think they have a responsibility to not promote violent crime by making it look appealing and acceptable to stupid people. They can make tons of money without doing that.



Why and since when ?



Because doing that can result in violent crime and since film making began. The film industry seemed to recognize that in the past since they had rules about portraying the bad guys as the bad guys who paid for their crimes. They weren't portrayed as neat guys with an alternative life style.
10/2/2019, 4:29 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2  3  4 ... 6  7  8 





You are not logged in (login)