Runboard.com
You're welcome.





runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 6938
Karma: 37 (+52/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


What double standard? Between kids and adults shouldn't there be? After all there are thousands of laws that separate adults from children. If you want those types of programs with kids they do come up on those reality murder shows in detail if you choose.........adults who lives are depicted in docu's, tv news, movies that are real and from those real stories spring movies that aren't real but captured someones mind. There are plenty of tv shows, movies I choose not to see , you can change the channel or not go to the movie.
10/11/2019, 1:20 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 5022
Karma: 29 (+32/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

What double standard? Between kids and adults shouldn't there be? After all there are thousands of laws that separate adults from children. If you want those types of programs with kids they do come up on those reality murder shows in detail if you choose.........adults who lives are depicted in docu's, tv news, movies that are real and from those real stories spring movies that aren't real but captured someones mind. There are plenty of tv shows, movies I choose not to see , you can change the channel or not go to the movie.



The double standard I'm talking about is not a legal standard mandated by law or by anything else other than a sense of propriety and offensiveness. Films like "Halloween" depict fictional events and supposedly have no influence on this society. They also are designed to scare people and entertain them at the same time.

Since a film like that which depicts little children being slaughtered would be terrifying and scary the question is why aren't such films made? Why that sort of cultural double standard?

The reason is simple. It's this society going into protective mode. It neither wants to produce or be entertained by such films nor does it assume that they would not provoke copycat crimes.

The most important question is why shouldn't it also object to taking the chance of similar films resulting in copycat crimes committed against adults? For that matter, there is no guarantee that any copycats will limit themselves to targeting adults.

10/11/2019, 10:00 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 6938
Karma: 37 (+52/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


The reason is more simple or they wouldn't be made. Kids like to be scared. I remember going to the movies as a kid, Vincent Price movies scared me to death, "13 Ghosts" and "Haunted House" scared me to death and gave me nightmares, my friends laughed at me, by 13 and since, I don't go to horror movies. "protective mode" sure, persons don't like watching bad things happening to kids, including dying of cancer, being run over or murdered in a mass shooting. However you take horror movies different than most kids who enjoy them. When adults do I'm surprised, they are made for kids not adults. I don't think you give kids enough credit.
10/21/2019, 2:55 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Geezess Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 11-2016
Posts: 3026
Karma: 12 (+17/-5)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


So Philler is your point that movie should be censored ... given the date that you started this thread is BEFORE you have seen it ?
Who is your boss ?

Ahhh, sure, whatever you say my would be boss.
After all your politics of control of a free people is that you get to decide what is PC, or not so much.

So of course we should should trust you and just you, right ?

But what of this ?

Review: 'Joker' Is One Of The Best Films Of 2019 - Forbes
https://www.forbes.com › sites › markhughes › 2019/08/31 › review-joker...
Aug 31, 2019 - Two weeks is plenty of time to rack up the box office it needs to be well into the profit zone and ride a wave of likely strong reviews and positive ...


lol
Are YOU opposed to Forbes ?
10/22/2019, 12:30 am Link to this post PM Geezess Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 6938
Karma: 37 (+52/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

katie5445 wrote:

What double standard? Between kids and adults shouldn't there be? After all there are thousands of laws that separate adults from children. If you want those types of programs with kids they do come up on those reality murder shows in detail if you choose.........adults who lives are depicted in docu's, tv news, movies that are real and from those real stories spring movies that aren't real but captured someones mind. There are plenty of tv shows, movies I choose not to see , you can change the channel or not go to the movie.



The double standard I'm talking about is not a legal standard mandated by law or by anything else other than a sense of propriety and offensiveness. Films like "Halloween" depict fictional events and supposedly have no influence on this society. They also are designed to scare people and entertain them at the same time.

Since a film like that which depicts little children being slaughtered would be terrifying and scary the question is why aren't such films made? Why that sort of cultural double standard?

The reason is simple. It's this society going into protective mode. It neither wants to produce or be entertained by such films nor does it assume that they would not provoke copycat crimes.

The most important question is why shouldn't it also object to taking the chance of similar films resulting in copycat crimes committed against adults? For that matter, there is no guarantee that any copycats will limit themselves to targeting adults.




I think you need to ask those who back movies with $$$$ and big money, they make movies that will sell so I would say people want it, it is a for profit industry. If a company can make scads of money on "Halloween" or porn, that you complain of some double standard, they don't care. I believe in almost non existent censorship in media of any kind, that is different that person to person, group to group hate.
10/23/2019, 12:40 am Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 5022
Karma: 29 (+32/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

The reason is more simple or they wouldn't be made. Kids like to be scared. I remember going to the movies as a kid, Vincent Price movies scared me to death, "13 Ghosts" and "Haunted House" scared me to death and gave me nightmares, my friends laughed at me, by 13 and since, I don't go to horror movies. "protective mode" sure, persons don't like watching bad things happening to kids, including dying of cancer, being run over or murdered in a mass shooting. However you take horror movies different than most kids who enjoy them. When adults do I'm surprised, they are made for kids not adults. I don't think you give kids enough credit.



Name a film which depicts little kids being butchered as adult victims are in slasher films. Those kinds of films are not made because nobody wants to make or see such films. The question is why do they want to make and see similar films depicting adults being slashed and killed?

I can recall two films which were terrifying to me as a child. One was the Hammer film, "The Gorgon" about the mysterious lady who had snakes on her head instead of hair and the other was a terrible film called "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Two scary Vincent Price films that are still fun to watch are "House of Wax" and "The Return of the Fly." They are two of my favorite movies. The latter is a combination sci-fi and horror film.
10/23/2019, 12:43 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 5022
Karma: 29 (+32/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


I didn't advocate censoring "The Joker," Cheezits. I haven't seen the film yet. I did want to use it as a starting point to discuss the question of whether films which depict violence should ever be censored as some governments have done. Also, I was wanting to discuss whether film makers have any responsibility at all to try not to incite violent criminal behaviour with their depictions of violence.

According to Mais and apparently you they don't have any responsibility at all along those lines. Perhaps that is true but I'm not convinced.

It certainly would be good if no film ever promoted copycat violence based on what some viewer saw in the film.

Last edited by Philer, 10/23/2019, 12:59 am
10/23/2019, 12:56 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 5022
Karma: 29 (+32/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


quote:

katie5445 wrote:

quote:

Philer wrote:

quote:

katie5445 wrote:

What double standard? Between kids and adults shouldn't there be? After all there are thousands of laws that separate adults from children. If you want those types of programs with kids they do come up on those reality murder shows in detail if you choose.........adults who lives are depicted in docu's, tv news, movies that are real and from those real stories spring movies that aren't real but captured someones mind. There are plenty of tv shows, movies I choose not to see , you can change the channel or not go to the movie.



The double standard I'm talking about is not a legal standard mandated by law or by anything else other than a sense of propriety and offensiveness. Films like "Halloween" depict fictional events and supposedly have no influence on this society. They also are designed to scare people and entertain them at the same time.

Since a film like that which depicts little children being slaughtered would be terrifying and scary the question is why aren't such films made? Why that sort of cultural double standard?

The reason is simple. It's this society going into protective mode. It neither wants to produce or be entertained by such films nor does it assume that they would not provoke copycat crimes.

The most important question is why shouldn't it also object to taking the chance of similar films resulting in copycat crimes committed against adults? For that matter, there is no guarantee that any copycats will limit themselves to targeting adults.




I think you need to ask those who back movies with $$$$ and big money, they make movies that will sell so I would say people want it, it is a for profit industry. If a company can make scads of money on "Halloween" or porn, that you complain of some double standard, they don't care. I believe in almost non existent censorship in media of any kind, that is different that person to person, group to group hate.



Despite what I've said in this thread I'm not a big advocate of censorship in general. And I like some horror films, including one slasher film, "Nightmare On Elm Street." I just don't believe the entertainment value nor the money that film makers make from such films can justify not censoring them if they do contribute to generating copycat crimes.
10/23/2019, 1:14 am Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 
katie5445 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator

Registered: 10-2016
Posts: 6938
Karma: 37 (+52/-15)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


I've never seen any of those movies, I think they are silly but what I do notice, its kids that like them mostly and movies are not responsible, the person is especially that should be your view since you aren't hot on a mental illness diagnosis but the selfish prima donna excuse. I don't believe in any entertainment value in lots of movies, that however does not mean others don't and they make those movies, cause it makes them money, yours or my opinion are not important to them, they don't care. I haven't seen "The Joker" but my several of my family members have gone twice, according to them, it is far more psychological addressing abuse and mental illness than violent but it is there. If you are an adult I don't believe in censorship in film. If your talking kiddie porn or snuff films, I'm on a different train. You don't want your kids to see certain films, good luck, they lie unless you want to attach your body to them 24/7. Besides look what kids are facing nowadays, worry about violence in films when they are being mass murdered in school, really, we are so far beyond the point of film it isn't funny and I've got two teens in my home and Freddie or Chucky is the least of my worries or theirs, they think those are stupid and outdated movies they give a pass and can't be bothered.
10/29/2019, 9:09 pm Link to this post PM katie5445 Blog
 
Philer Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Registered user

Registered: 12-2016
Posts: 5022
Karma: 29 (+32/-3)
Reply | Quote
Re: The Joker strikes again!


I believe the most important question is - if we knew that a particular film depicting extreme violence would lead to copycat crimes should it be banned? I really couldn't care less how much money it might make. Neither should anyone else if it generates copycat crimes.

Entertainment is not worth innocent people being attacked by nitwits who identify too closely with violent characters in a movie.
10/30/2019, 11:10 pm Link to this post PM Philer Blog
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 





You are not logged in (login)